History

The history of the Meynell & South Staffordshire Hunt can be traced back to 1793 and the Vernon family from Sudbury, in Derbyshire. Lord Vernon died in 1813 and the Meynell family took over the hounds, changing the name from Sudbury Hunt to Hoar Cross Hunt.


In 1872 the present kennels were built at Sudbury and it became a subscription pack called the Meynell Hunt. It wasn't until 1970 that the name changed again, when the Meynell amalgamated with the South Staffordshire.

It is very doubtful if any kennels in England are more architecturally beautiful than those from which the Meynell Hounds first issued on Thursday, November 13th 1873.

MSSH History


The Kennels Today

The Kennel Huntsman is Jamie Nicklin and he first went out hunting with the Meynell when he was 4 years old. Jamie knew back then that he never wanted to do any other job.

On leaving School he secured a position of Whipper In, at the South Devon, to Master and Huntsman Patrick Cooper.

With a successful career that took him from Devon to Yorkshire to South Notts to Cheshire, Jamie was thrilled when the Meynell Kennel Huntsman’s position became vacant and was contacted to see if  he was interested in the position. This was an opportunity to fulfil a lifelong ambition, to hunt the hounds in a country where Jamie had spent his childhood dreaming of doing just this, in what he regards as one of the very best hunting countries left in England.